11.27.2011

Luke's Birth Story

I know it's been over a month since Luke was born, but things have been so crazy that I haven't gotten around to writing this post until now.

Here is the story of Luke:

We were very anxious for Luke to come, but despite all our efforts, he just wasn't coming.
When I went in for my doctor's appointment, we talked with the doctor about when we could induce since we were moving so soon.
The doctor was locked into a due date that was later than I thought I was due.
The only way he would induce me before Halloween was to get an amniocentesis to make sure that the baby's lungs were fully developed.
So on Tuesday, October 25, I went in for the amnio.
I was able to relax and read a book while they monitored me and the baby.
Then the doctor came to do the procedure.
Unfortunately the first time he tried, he hit the placenta and didn't get any fluid, so we had to do it twice. The second time, Luke tried to kick the needle, but luckily they got the fluid.
After waiting and getting monitored for another hour, they determined that everything was great and I was scheduled to be induced the next morning at 6:30am.
Will was kind enough to get up super early and come over to watch Jack and Andrew and he switched off throughout the day.


When I got there, they got me settled and hooked up to an IV.
I had to start with two hours of penicillin before they'd start the pitocin because I tested positive for Group B Strep. I had to have two more bags throughout the day.
At 9am, they were finally able to start the pitocin.
I started feeling some contractions pretty quickly and by 10:30 I was ready for my epidural.

At noon, the doctor broke my water and things progressed throughout the afternoon.
At first I was worried because the monitor wasn't showing any contractions after he broke my water, but it turned out my strap had gotten twisted and wasn't picking anything up.
By 4pm, I was getting really uncomfortable and was at a 9+.
It was determined that the baby was posterior (face up) and my cervix had an anterior lip, which was making it not dilate anymore after a 9. The same thing happened with Jack too.
I had a lot of painful back labor and complained quite a bit for the last couple of hours.
At 5:15, the nurse and Dallin started having me push.
We pushed for quite awhile until the head was partially out, then they called for the doctor.
The doctor came in, turned the baby so he was face down, and pulled him out.
Lucas Scott Coffman was born at 6:00pm.
Our nurse, Allie, had been telling me I needed to have the baby before 6 because that was when her shift ended and she wanted to be there for it, so it was funny that he was born at 6:00 on the button.
He weighed 7lbs. 15 oz and was 19 inches long.
This delivery was so much easier than with Jack.
Everything went so much more quickly and there seemed to be a lot less pain.
I was able to get up and walk around within the hour after having him.
Luke has been an easy baby.
He eats well and we've had no problems with nursing.
Or rather, our only problem has been he likes to eat too much!
We stayed in the hospital until Friday morning, then headed home to get ready for our next adventure.
We are so blessed to have such a sweet baby in our family!

1 comment: